- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
- 1 stick (4 ounces) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 pints fresh blackberries or other berries
- 2 peaches or nectarines, or 4 apricots, or 2 pears or apples, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup finely diced candied ginger
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Blackberry Gelato
How to make this recipe
Preheat the oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine the flour with the 1/3 cup of granulated sugar and the rolled oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Using a pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
In a 9-by-13-inch glass or ceramic baking dish, toss all the fruit with the ginger, lemon juice and the remaining 1 tablespoon of granulated sugar. Press the topping to form large crumbs and sprinkle them evenly over the fruit.
Transfer the crumble to the oven and bake for about 30 minutes, or until the topping is browned and the fruit is bubbling around the edges. Let the crumble cool slightly, then serve with a scoop of Blackberry Gelato.