- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 6 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup boiling water
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Grease and flour two 8-by-3-inch loaf pans. In a large bowl, beat the eggs with an electric mixer until foamy. Beat in the molasses, brown sugar, butter and shortening. Sift in all of the dry ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon until incorporated. Stir in the boiling water until the batter is smooth.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pans and bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let the loaves cool slightly in the pans, then turn them out onto a rack to cool completely.
Make AheadThe gingerbread can be well-wrapped and refrigerated for up to 1 week or frozen for up to 1 month.