© Kamran Siddiqi
Gingerbread Pear Loaf Cake
- ACTIVE: 20 MIN
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: 8 to 10
This super moist loaf spiked with candied ginger is the perfect tea cake.
Slideshows: Great Cakes
- 1 1/2 cups Silvana’s Kitchen Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar, plus more for sprinkling
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted and cooled, plus more for brushing
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 large ripe pear, peeled, cored and coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced crystallized ginger, plus more for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 350° and butter a 9-by-4 1/2-inch loaf pan. In a large bowl, whisk the flour with the baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the cup of sugar with the butter, buttermilk, eggs and vanilla. Using a wooden spoon, mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, then fold in the pears and ginger.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle with sugar and crystallized ginger and bake in the center of the oven for about 1 hour until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean; loosely cover the top with foil during the last 15 minutes to prevent overbrowning.
- Transfer the cake to a wire rack and let cool completely in the pan. Invert the cake onto a plate and invert again. Slice the cake and serve.
Make AheadThe cake can be wrapped in foil and refrigerated for up to 3 days.