- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 stick (4 ounces) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 box (1 pound) dark brown sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup finely grated peeled fresh ginger (from a 2-ounce piece)
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsulphured molasses dissolved in 1 cup hot water
- 1/4 cup finely chopped candied ginger
- Lightly sweetened whipped cream, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Grease and flour three 9-by-4-inch loaf pans. In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, ground ginger, nutmeg, cloves and pepper.
- In another large bowl, using a handheld electric mixer, beat the butter until creamy. Add the brown sugar and beat until blended. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, and beat until smooth, then beat in the sour cream and grated ginger. At medium speed, beat in the dry ingredients in 3 batches, alternating with the molasses.
- Pour the gingerbread batter into the prepared pans and sprinkle with the candied ginger. Bake in the center of the oven for about 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the loaves comes out clean. Let cool in the pans for 15 minutes, then turn the loaves out onto a rack to cool completely. Cut the gingerbread in thick slices and serve with whipped cream.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.