- Nonstick baking spray
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 cup unsulfured molasses
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced crystallized ginger
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons unflavored powdered gelatin
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 10 1/2 ounces white chocolate, chopped
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup pomegranate juice
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup fresh pomegranate seeds
- Slivered crystallized ginger, for garnish
- Make the gingerbread Preheat the oven to 325°. Line the bottom of a 9-by-13-inch baking pan with parchment paper and lightly spray the bottom and side of the pan with baking spray.
- Make the gingerbread In a bowl, sift the flour with the ground ginger, baking soda, salt, cloves and nutmeg. In a large bowl, beat the molasses with the sugar and butter at medium speed until fluffy. Beat in the egg and the fresh and crystallized ginger. At low speed, beat in the dry ingredients. Gradually beat in the water. Spread the batter in the prepared pan.
- Make the gingerbread Bake the gingerbread for about 20 minutes, rotating the pan once, until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Transfer the gingerbread to a rack to cool for 30 minutes, then turn it out and let it cool completely, 1 hour. Refrigerate the gingerbread until firm, about 1 hour. Peel off the parchment paper and cut the gingerbread into 1-inch cubes.
- Meanwhile, make the mousse In a small bowl, sprinkle the gelatin over 2 tablespoons of water and let stand for 5 minutes. In a medium bowl, beat the egg yolks with the sugar until fluffy.
- Meanwhile, make the mousse In a medium saucepan, combine 1/2 cup of the cream with the milk, zest and salt and bring to a simmer. While whisking, drizzle the hot milk mixture into the egg yolks until incorporated. Transfer the mixture to the saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring, until the custard is thickened and coats the back of a spoon, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat. Add the gelatin and white chocolate and stir until melted. Strain the custard into a medium metal bowl set in a bowl of ice water and cool to room temperature, stirring, about 2 minutes. Remove the bowl from the ice bath.
- Meanwhile, make the mousse In a large bowl, beat the remaining 2 1/2 cups of heavy cream until soft peaks form. Fold the whipped cream into the custard. Refrigerate the mousse until chilled, about 2 hours.
- Make the caramel In a medium saucepan, combine the sugar with 3 tablespoons of water and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until the sugar dissolves; brush down the side of the pan with a wet pastry brush. Cook undisturbed until a medium-amber caramel forms, about 5 minutes. Carefully add the pomegranate juice and lemon juice and simmer until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Let cool to room temperature.
- Make the caramel In an 8-inch, 2-quart trifle bowl, make 4 layers of the gingerbread, mousse and caramel. Garnish with the pomegranate seeds and crystallized ginger slices and serve.