- 2 pounds 85% lean ground turkey
- 1/2 cup minced red onion
- 3 tablespoons finely grated peeled fresh ginger
- 3 tablespoons sambar masala (see Note)
- 1 teaspoon finely grated peeled fresh turmeric
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fine sea salt
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- Cilantro leaves, for garnish
How to make this recipe
- Preheat the oven to 400°. In a large bowl, mix the ground turkey with the onion, ginger, masala, turmeric and salt. Using a 2-tablespoon scoop, scoop and roll the meatballs and place on a large baking sheet.
- In a very large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil. Add half of the meatballs and cook over moderate heat, turning, until browned all over, 5 to 7 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the meatballs to the baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil and meatballs.
- Bake the meatballs in the oven for about 8 minutes, until cooked through. Arrange the meatballs on a platter, garnish with cilantro and serve.
The meatballs can be made up to 6 hours ahead; serve at room temperature or reheat gently.
Sambar masala is a spice blend made with myriad spices, including coriander, fenugreek and cumin. Look for it at Indian markets and on amazon.com.
WINE: Berry-forward, lightly floral Beaujolais.