- SERVINGS: Makes 1 Drink
This drink—created by mixologists Kathy Flick and Marcovaldo Dionysos—is based on the Favorite Cocktail in Jacques Straub's 1914 book Drinks. The updated recipe amps up the Favorite's ginger flavor with an intense syrup infused with fresh ginger and black peppercorns.
- 6 to 8 mint leaves, plus 1 mint sprig for garnish
- 2/3 ounce Ginger-Pepper Syrup
- Crushed ice
- 1 1/2 ounces gin
- 3/4 ounce fresh lemon juice
- 2 ounces chilled ginger ale
- In a collins glass, muddle the mint leaves with the Ginger-Pepper Syrup. Add crushed ice, then add the gin and lemon juice. Spin a swizzle stick or bar spoon between your hands to mix the drink. Stir in the ginger ale, top with more crushed ice and garnish with the mint sprig.