- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup (packed) dark brown sugar
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsulphured molasses
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Preheat the oven to 350°. In a large bowl, blend the flour, baking powder, baking soda, ginger, salt, pepper, cloves, allspice and cinnamon.
- In a small saucepan, combine 3/4 cup of the brown sugar, 6 tablespoons of the butter and 2/3 cup of the molasses. Stir over moderate heat until melted and well combined. Stir in the milk and vanilla and set aside.
- Place the remaining 1/4 cup brown sugar, 2 tablespoons butter and 2 tablespoons molasses in a 12-inch cast-iron skillet. Place the skillet in the oven to melt the butter and sugar and heat the skillet. Stir to combine.
- Stir the brown sugar and milk mixture into the dry ingredients. Beat just until smooth. Pour the batter into the skillet. Sprinkle the pine nuts on top and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until a tester inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Beat the heavy cream until soft peaks form. Add the sour cream and continue beating until stiff. Serve the cake warm from the skillet. Pass the whipped cream separately.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.