- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground Sichuan peppercorns
- 1/4 teaspoon five-spice powder
- 2 pounds chicken wingettes and drumettes (see Note)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons red hot sauce, preferably Frank's Red Hot
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons scallions, white and light green parts only, thinly sliced
- Preheat the oven to 500°. Line a large baking sheet with foil and spray with vegetable oil. In a bowl, mix the flour with the salt, Sichuan peppercorns and five-spice powder. Add the chicken and toss to coat. Spread the chicken on the baking sheet in a single layer and spray with vegetable oil. Roast the chicken for 45 minutes, turning once or twice, until browned and crispy.
- In a bowl, whisk the hot sauce with the butter, soy sauce, honey and ginger until combined. Add the chicken wings to the sauce and toss. Sprinkle with the scallions and serve.
NotesWingettes and drumettes are often sold separately.