- 4 1/2 to 5 ounces fresh ginger (a piece about 6 inches long)
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon teriyaki sauce
- 4 whole chicken legs (about 3 1/4 pounds), halved at the joint
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Preheat the oven to 450°. Using the side of a teaspoon, scrape the skin from the ginger. Cut the ginger into 1-inch pieces. Put the ginger, garlic, and olive oil in a food processor or blender and process until the ginger and garlic are finely chopped. With the machine on, add the teriyaki sauce and process until the mixture is the texture of mustard.
- In a shallow bowl, slather the ginger glaze over the chicken and let marinate for 10 minutes at room temperature. Arrange the chicken pieces on a broiler pan, season with salt and pepper, and bake for about 20 minutes, turning once, until cooked through. Set the chicken skin side up and broil for about 1 minute to crisp the skin.
The gingery chicken and lemony couscous suggest a light, not quite dry wine. Try a chilled fruity ros&233; from California or France.