© Victoria Pearson
Ginger Brandy Snaps
- ACTIVE: 20 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: MAKES ABOUT 2 1/2 DOZEN COOKIES
Alexandra Angle's great-great-great-grandmother was a founding member of one of Boston's oldest women's clubs, where cookies like these lacy brandy snaps were a teatime staple.
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for buttering the baking sheets
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped candied ginger
- 1 tablespoon brandy
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Lightly butter 3 large baking sheets.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter with the brown sugar over moderate heat. Remove from the heat. Add the flour, candied ginger and the brandy and stir until a smooth batter forms. Drop level teaspoons of the batter 3 inches apart on the baking sheets. Bake the brandy snaps for about 8 minutes, or until they are lacy and browned. Let the cookies cool on the baking sheets just until firm, about 2 minutes, then carefully transfer them to a rack to cool completely.
Make Ahead The brandy snaps can be stored in an airtight container for up to 3 days.