- 1 pound meaty pork belly, thinly sliced
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup mirin
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 pound shiitake mushroomsstems discarded, caps quartered
- 3/4 pound daikon, peeled and cut into 2-by-1/2-inch sticks
- 1/2 cup kimchi
- In a medium cast-iron casserole or Dutch oven, working in 3 batches, brown the pork belly over moderate heat, turning once, about 6 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with the remaining meat.
- Add the onion and ginger to the casserole and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the pork belly, chicken stock, soy sauce and mirin and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer over low heat until the pork belly is tender, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat the oil. Add the shiitake and cook over high heat until lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add the shiitake, daikon and kimchi to the casserole and simmer over low heat until the daikon is tender, about 20 minutes longer. Ladle the meat, vegetables and broth into shallow bowls and serve.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.