Ginger-Beef Soup with Chinese Egg Noodles
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 2 HRS 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
- 8 cups beef stock or low-sodium broth
- 4 cups water
- One 1-pound piece of beef chuck
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced fresh ginger
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 small star anise pod
- 1/2 pound shiitake mushroomsstems discarded, caps thickly sliced
- 3 large scallions, white and green parts thinly sliced separately
- 1 pound fresh Chinese egg noodles or linguine
- Toasted sesame oil or hot chile oil, for serving
- In a large pot, combine the beef stock with the water. Add the beef, onion, ginger, soy sauce, garlic and star anise and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer over very low heat until the meat is tender, about 2 hours. Transfer the meat to a plate and let cool slightly. Using 2 forks, coarsely shred the meat.
- Strain the broth, discarding the solids. Return the strained broth and the meat to the pot. Add the shiitakes and the scallion whites and simmer until the shiitakes are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add the noodles and cook until al dente. Drain well and add the noodles to the soup. Transfer the soup to deep bowls, garnish with the scallion greens and serve, passing sesame or chile oil at the table.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.