- ACTIVE: 10 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: Makes 2 1/2 cups
The delicate fragrance of bay leaves is lovely with ginger. "I add this syrup to a cup of English Breakfast tea," Grace Parisi says. It's also delicious with club soda or in hot toddies.
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced peeled fresh ginger (from one 4-inch piece)
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 4 slices of candied ginger
- In a food processor, chop the ginger and sugar; transfer to a saucepan. Add 2 cups of water and bring to boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Add the bay leaf and simmer over moderate heat until slightly thickened and reduced to about 2 1/2 cups, 20 minutes. Add the lemon juice and simmer for 1 minute. Let cool, then strain into a small pitcher, pressing on the solids. Pour the syrup into small bottles and add the candied ginger.
The syrup with candied ginger can be refrigerated for up to 4 months.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.