- One 2-inch-long strip of lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon Demerara simple syrup (see Note)
- 1 teaspoon Campari
- 3 dashes of grapefruit bitters
- Scant pinch of fine sea salt
- 2 ounces gin, preferably Knickerbocker or Beefeater 24
How to make this recipe
- In a rocks glass, muddle the lemon zest with the simple syrup, Campari, grapefruit bitters and sea salt. Add the gin and a few ice cubes and stir until well chilled. Top with more ice and serve right away.
To make Demerara simple syrup, in a small saucepan, dissolve 1/4 cup Demerara sugar (a coarse, raw cane sugar) in 1/4 cup water over moderate heat.