Giardiniera with Ham and White Beans
- TOTAL TIME: 40 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4 to 5 servings
This recipe is a nod to the pickled vegetables (giardiniera) in the Gramercy Tavern salad. Grace Parisi quickly soaks baby cauliflower in vinegar and sugar, then combines it with snap peas, white beans, ham and sunflower seeds to create a unique main-course dish.
- 3/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- Kosher salt
- 6 scallions, white and tender green parts only, cut into 1-inch lengths
- 4 cups mixed green, yellow and white baby cauliflower, cut into 1-inch florets (12 ounces)
- 4 ounces sugar snap peas
- One 15-ounce can white beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 ounces thickly sliced ham, shredded
- 1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 2 tablespoons salted roasted sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper
- Set a resealable plastic bag in a bowl and add the vinegar, sugar and 2 tablespoons of salt. Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add the scallions and cauliflower and blanch until crisp-tender, about 1 minute. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the vegetables to the plastic bag. Add 2 cups of cold water. Seal the bag, pressing out the air; freeze for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add the snap peas to the boiling water and blanch until bright green, about 1 minute. Drain and cool under running water. Pat dry and cut diagonally into 1-inch pieces.
- Drain the scallions and cauliflower, reserving 3 tablespoons of the pickling liquid. Transfer the vegetables to a large bowl. Add the snap peas, white beans, ham, parsley and sunflower seeds. In a small bowl, whisk the reserved pickling liquid with the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss well. Serve right away.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.