- 3/4 pound dried giant or large lima beans, soaked overnight
- 3 quarts plus 1/4 cup water
- 1 small onion, studded with 3 whole cloves
- 5 whole black peppercorns
- 1 thyme sprig
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced chives
Drain the beans and put them in a saucepan. Add the 3 quarts of water and the onion, peppercorns, thyme and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, then simmer over low heat until tender, about 1 hour. Season with salt. Drain the beans, discarding the aromatics.
In a large skillet, combine the beans with the remaining 1/4 cup of water and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the olive oil, season with salt and pepper, sprinkle with the chives and serve.