- 1/2 cup sweet white rice (3 1/2 ounces) (see Note)
- 2 cups white or brown short-grain rice (about 1 pound)
- 1 tablespoon red miso paste
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- Soy sauce, for drizzling
How to make this recipe
- In a small bowl, cover the sweet rice with water and refrigerate overnight. Drain and transfer to a medium bowl.
- Wash the white or brown rice in a bowl or a sieve until the water is no longer cloudy. Drain well, then add to the sweet rice and mix well. Transfer to a rice cooker and add the miso and 2 1/2 cups of water. Close the lid securely. Cook the rice according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- Stir the rice so the miso is well incorporated, then gently pack the rice into 8 balls (about 3/4 cup each).
- In a large grill pan, heat the canola oil. Cook the rice balls, turning frequently, until golden and crispy on the outside, 7 to 8 minutes. Serve the rice balls drizzled with soy sauce.
Sweet white rice is also called glutinous or sticky rice. Look for it at large supermarkets and Asian markets.