Giant Grilled Hunks of Bread
- TOTAL TIME: 10 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
At her L.A. restaurant grilled steak; they're great for sopping up all the delicious juices. Although toasts are a smart way to use up old bread, Molina prefers grilling fresh bread. "When the bread is doused with plenty of olive oil and cooked over high heat, its center becomes almost custardlike," he says.
Great Italian Recipes
- Four 3-inch-thick slices of peasant bread
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for brushing
- 2 large garlic cloves, peeled
- Maldon salt or other flaky sea salt
- Light a grill. Generously brush the bread on both sides with olive oil. Grill over moderate heat until crisp and lightly charred, about 2 minutes per side. Rub both sides with the garlic cloves, season with salt and serve right away.