Gemelli with Creamy Red Pepper Sauce and Fresh Mozzarella
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: 4
Because it's made by throwing all of the ingredients into the blender, this is the ultimate fast sauce; whizzing in the olive oil gives it an ultracreamy, velvety texture. Be sure to use sweet roasted red peppers from the deli case instead of the ones packed in a jar, which can be bitter.
- 3/4 pound gemelli
- 2 whole roasted red peppers from the deli counter (6 ounces)
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 oil-packed sun-dried tomato halves, drained
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 garlic clove
- 9 large basil leaves
- Kosher salt
- freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 pound salted fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the gemelli and cook until al dente. Drain the gemelli.
- Meanwhile, in a blender, puree the roasted red peppers with the olive oil, sun-dried tomatoes, tomato paste, garlic and 3 basil leaves until smooth. Season the sauce with salt and pepper.
- Scrape the sauce into a large bowl and toss with the pasta until well coated. Tear the remaining 6 basil leaves into the pasta and add the mozzarella. Toss the mozzarella, basil and pasta and serve warm or at room temperature.
Ripe, medium-bodied Sicilian Nero d'Avola blend.