- 1/2 cup drained canned tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup peeled, seeded and chopped cucumber
- 1/2 cup peeled and chopped red pepper
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon very finely chopped garlic
- Dash of Tabasco
- Pinch of ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon powdered unflavored gelatin
- 1 Hass avocado—seeded, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- In a blender, puree the tomatoes with the cucumber, red pepper, vinegar, garlic, Tabasco and cumin. Pass through a fine strainer into a glass measuring cup. Season with salt. Transfer half of the mixture to a small saucepan. Sprinkle the gelatin evenly over the mixture and let stand for 5 minutes. Cook the mixture over moderate heat until the gelatin is melted, about 1 minute. Stir in the remaining tomato mixture. Pour into 4 small glass bowls and refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, clean out the blender, then puree the chopped avocado with the water, lime juice and olive oil. Season with salt. Spoon the avocado cream over each gelée and serve.
The gelées and avocado puree can be refrigerated separately overnight.