Gazpacho Gelées with Avocado Cream
- ACTIVE: 25 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 25 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
Philippe Braun, who created this soft, slightly spicy tomato jelly topped with an unctuous avocado cream, is the extremely talented executive chef at L'Atelier de Joël Robuchon in Paris. One of Joël Robuchon's closest associates, Braun travels with the master to keep standards high at outposts in Las Vegas, Tokyo and New York City.
- 1/2 cup drained canned tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup peeled, seeded and chopped cucumber
- 1/2 cup peeled and chopped red pepper
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon very finely chopped garlic
- Dash of Tabasco
- Pinch of ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon powdered unflavored gelatin
- 1 Hass avocadoseeded, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- In a blender, puree the tomatoes with the cucumber, red pepper, vinegar, garlic, Tabasco and cumin. Pass through a fine strainer into a glass measuring cup. Season with salt. Transfer half of the mixture to a small saucepan. Sprinkle the gelatin evenly over the mixture and let stand for 5 minutes. Cook the mixture over moderate heat until the gelatin is melted, about 1 minute. Stir in the remaining tomato mixture. Pour into 4 small glass bowls and refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, clean out the blender, then puree the chopped avocado with the water, lime juice and olive oil. Season with salt. Spoon the avocado cream over each gelée and serve.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.