© Beatriz Da Costa
Garlicky White Bean Soup with Chicken and Chard
- SERVINGS: 4
This satisfying, rustic soup makes a terrific meal along with some crusty bread and a green salad.
Warming Soup Recipes
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic
- Crushed red pepper
- 4 cups chicken stock or canned low-sodium broth
- 1 pound Swiss chard, stems and tough ribs removed, leaves coarsely chopped
- One 19-ounce can white beans, such as cannellini or Great Northern, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, sliced crosswise 1/3 inch thick
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan until shimmering. Add the onion, 1 tablespoon of the minced garlic and a pinch of crushed red pepper. Cook over moderately high heat, stirring frequently, until the onion is softened, about 6 minutes. Add the stock, Swiss chard and beans and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to moderately low and simmer until the chard is tender and the soup is slightly thickened, about 15 minutes.
- Add the chicken and the remaining 1/2 tablespoon of garlic and simmer gently over moderately low heat until the chicken is just cooked through, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Ladle the soup into bowls and serve.
Make AheadThe soup can be refrigerated for up to 1 day.
A refreshing Spanish white, such as a Rioja, will echo the slightly bitter Swiss chard.