- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- One 1/2-inch-thick slice peasant bread, about 6 inches wide
- 1/2 pound baby spinach
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, coarsely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
How to make this recipe
- In a bowl, pour 2 tablespoons of the olive oil over the bread. Turn the bread to coat, then let stand until the oil is absorbed. Tear the olive-oil-soaked bread into small pieces.
- In a food processor, finely chop the spinach. Add the bread, lemon juice and garlic and process until well blended. Add the remaining 1/4 cup of olive oil and process to a fine puree. Scrape the puree into a bowl and season with salt and pepper. Serve at room temperature.
A light, fruity Tocai from Friuli is versatile enough to drink alone or pair with a variety of appetizers.