- 2 medium garlic cloves, smashed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large head of romaine lettuce, leaves torn into 2-inch pieces
- 3 medium tomatoes, cut in wedges
- 1 large European cucumberpeeled, seeded and cut into 3/4-inch dice
In a mortar, pound the garlic with the salt to a smooth paste. Stir in the lemon juice, then gradually whisk in the olive oil.
In a large bowl, toss the romaine with the tomatoes and cucumber. Stir the lemon dressing. Pour the dressing over the salad, toss well and serve.