© Fredrika Stjärne
Garlicky Mushroom-Onion Toasts
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: 4
Grilling guru Francis Mallmann is a master of efficiency. Here, he creates a delicious first course using only a cast-iron skillet, first toasting the bread in it, then quickly searing the mushroom, onion and garlic toppings right after.
Plus: More Appetizer Recipes
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Four 3/4-inch-thick slices of country bread
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 pound cremini mushrooms, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- Kosher salt
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped thyme
- In a large cast-iron skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Add the bread and toast over moderately high heat, turning once, until golden and crisp on both sides, 3 minutes. Transfer the toasts to a platter.
- Add 2 tablespoons of the olive oil to the skillet along with the onion and garlic and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until golden, about 2 minutes. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil and the mushrooms and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, until the mushrooms are well browned, 7 to 8 minutes. Stir in the wine and cook until evaporated, 1 minute. Stir in the parsley and thyme. Top the toasts with the mushrooms and serve.