- 3 narrow eggplants (3/4 pound each), peeled and sliced lengthwise 1/4 inch thick
- Kosher salt
- About 2/3 cup pure olive oil
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped mint leaves
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped oregano
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
How to make this recipe
- Sprinkle the eggplants on both sides with 1 tablespoon of kosher salt. Arrange the slices on a wire rack set over a rimmed baking sheet and let stand for 30 minutes.
- Blot the eggplant slices with paper towels. In a large nonstick skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the pure olive oil until shimmering. Add 4 or 5 slices of eggplant and cook over high heat, turning occasionally, until tender and well browned, about 6 minutes. Transfer the eggplant to a wire rack lined with paper towels and blot off any excess oil. Repeat with the remaining eggplant slices and pure olive oil.
- In a bowl, combine the garlic, mint, oregano and a pinch of salt. Arrange 4 eggplant slices in a layer in a small ceramic or glass dish. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of the herb mixture, then drizzle with 1 teaspoon of the extra-virgin olive oil. Repeat with the remaining eggplant, herbs and oil. Press a sheet of plastic directly on the eggplant; let stand at room temperature for at least 2 hours or refrigerate for up to 2 days. Bring to room temperature before serving.
Crusty Italian bread.