Garlicky Eggplant Puree with Crumbled Feta
- ACTIVE: 15 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
A topping of finely chopped garlic mixed with parsley and crumbled feta cheese turns this silken eggplant puree into an exquisite salad.
- Two 1-pound eggplants
- 3 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 ounces feta, crumbled (1 cup)
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 425°. On a baking sheet, roast the eggplants, turning once, until they are very soft and blackened, about 1 hour. Let cool slightly.
- Slash the eggplants lengthwise. Using a spoon, scoop the pulp into a strainer. Let drain for 10 minutes, shaking the strainer occasionally.
- On a work surface, finely chop the parsley with the garlic. Transfer the eggplant pulp to a food processor and pulse until chopped. Add three-fourths of the parsley mixture, and season with salt and pepper and pulse just until blended. Transfer the eggplant to a bowl and stir in three-quarters of the feta. Sprinkle with the remaining parsley mixture and feta, drizzle with olive oil and serve.
Make Ahead The eggplant puree can stand at room temperature for up to 3 hours. Sprinkle with the topping just before serving. Serve With Toasted pita or crusty bread.