- 1 pound fingerling potatoes, halved lengthwise
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium shallots, minced
- 4 thyme sprigs plus 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped thyme
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper
- 2 pounds littleneck clams, scrubbed and rinsed
- 1 cup dry white wine
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons Champagne vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon minced chervil
- 8 radishes with greens, radishes halved and greens torn
- 1/4 cup snipped dill
How to make this recipe
Prepare the potatoes
In a 10-inch skillet, combine all of the ingredients and bring just to a simmer. Cook over moderately low heat until the potatoes are just tender, about 15 minutes. Let cool. Drain the potatoes, discarding the garlic and peppercorns; reserve the oil.
Prepare the clams
In a large saucepan, heat 1/3 cup of the reserved potato oil. Add the garlic and half the shallots and cook over moderate heat, turning occasionally, until softened, 5 minutes. Add the thyme sprigs and crushed pepper and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the clams, wine and a pinch each of salt and pepper. Cover and cook over high heat, shaking the pan, until the clams open, 5 minutes. Remove the clams and discard the shells. Finely chop 1/3 cup of the clams. Strain the broth; reserve for another use.
In a medium bowl, whisk the vinegar with the chopped clams, walnuts, chervil and thyme and the remaining shallot; let stand for 15 minutes. Season the dressing with salt.
In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the reserved potato oil until shimmering. Add the potatoes cut side down and cook over moderately high heat, turning once, until lightly browned, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a platter. Add the radishes to the skillet cut side down and cook until browned on the bottom, about 3 minutes. Transfer to the platter, fold in the radish greens and season with salt.
Add the dressing and the whole clams to the skillet and warm over moderately low heat, about 3 minutes. Spoon over the potatoes and radishes, top with the dill and serve.
Fresh, lightly fruity sparkling rose.