Garlicky Caesar Salad
- SERVINGS: 6
This authentic Caesar salad, from chef Terrance Brennan of Terrance Brennan's Seafood and Chop House in New York City, gets a flavor wallop from large doses of chopped garlic and anchovies. The creamy dressing is made with raw egg yolks; if you prefer an alternative, coddle the eggs by placing them in their shells in boiling water for 3 minutes.
- One 2-ounce can olive oil–packed anchovies, drained, rinsed and finely chopped, plus 8 anchovy fillets for garnish
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus 1/2 cup Parmesan shavings
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- About 5 romaine lettuce hearts, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces (24 cups)
- 2 cups large country bread croutons (see Note)
- 2 teaspoons freshly cracked pepper
- In a large wooden or ceramic bowl, mash the chopped anchovies and garlic to a paste with a large wooden spoon. Whisk in the lemon juice. Whisk in the egg yolks and stir in the grated Parmesan cheese. In a slow, steady stream, whisk in the oil until blended.
- Add the romaine, croutons and pepper to the dressing and toss to coat. Add the Parmesan shavings and toss lightly. Transfer to bowls, garnish with the anchovy fillets and serve.