Garlicky Caesar Salad
- SERVINGS: 6
This authentic Caesar salad, from chef Terrance Brennan of Terrance Brennan's Seafood and Chop House in New York City, gets a flavor wallop from large doses of chopped garlic and anchovies. The creamy dressing is made with raw egg yolks; if you prefer an alternative, coddle the eggs by placing them in their shells in boiling water for 3 minutes.
- One 2-ounce can olive oil–packed anchovies, drained, rinsed and finely chopped, plus 8 anchovy fillets for garnish
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus 1/2 cup Parmesan shavings
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- About 5 romaine lettuce hearts, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces (24 cups)
- 2 cups large country bread croutons (see Note)
- 2 teaspoons freshly cracked pepper
- In a large wooden or ceramic bowl, mash the chopped anchovies and garlic to a paste with a large wooden spoon. Whisk in the lemon juice. Whisk in the egg yolks and stir in the grated Parmesan cheese. In a slow, steady stream, whisk in the oil until blended.
- Add the romaine, croutons and pepper to the dressing and toss to coat. Add the Parmesan shavings and toss lightly. Transfer to bowls, garnish with the anchovy fillets and serve.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.