- One 2-ounce can olive oil–packed anchovies, drained, rinsed and finely chopped, plus 8 anchovy fillets for garnish
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus 1/2 cup Parmesan shavings
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- About 5 romaine lettuce hearts, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces (24 cups)
- 2 cups large country bread croutons (see Note)
- 2 teaspoons freshly cracked pepper
How to make this recipe
- In a large wooden or ceramic bowl, mash the chopped anchovies and garlic to a paste with a large wooden spoon. Whisk in the lemon juice. Whisk in the egg yolks and stir in the grated Parmesan cheese. In a slow, steady stream, whisk in the oil until blended.
- Add the romaine, croutons and pepper to the dressing and toss to coat. Add the Parmesan shavings and toss lightly. Transfer to bowls, garnish with the anchovy fillets and serve.
To make basic croutons, toss stale bread cubes with melted butter. Spread on a baking sheet and toast in a 350? oven for about 10 minutes.