Garlic-Mashed Butternut Squash
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 2 HR
- SERVINGS: 6
Instead of mashed potatoes or sweet potatoes, try roasting and mashing butternut squash, which is especially delicious with roasted garlic as well.
Slideshow: More Fantastic Thanksgiving Squash Recipes
- Two 2-pound butternut squash, peeled and sliced 3/4 inch thick
- 12 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 rosemary sprig
- 1 jalapeño, halved and seeded
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 400°. In a bowl, toss the squash with the garlic, olive oil, rosemary and jalapeño and season with salt and pepper. Spread the squash mixture on a large baking sheet, cover with foil and roast for about 45 minutes, until tender. Uncover and roast until lightly browned in spots, about 45 minutes longer.
- Discard the rosemary and mince the jalapeño. Transfer the squash and jalapeño to a bowl. Add the butter, season with salt and pepper and mash.
Make AheadThe mashed squash can be refrigerated for up to 2 days.