- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR
- SERVINGS: Makes 1 1/2 pints
Although garlic is available year-round, fresh summer garlic has large cloves that are especially sweet and juicy. To preserve it, Grace Parisi simmers the cloves with dried red chiles and fresh thyme in olive oil under tender, then packs them in the oil. Mash the garlic confit in butter and spread it on bread or slip it under chicken skin before roasting.
- 6 heads of garlic, cloves peeled (2 cups)
- 6 thyme sprigs
- 3 small bay leaves
- 3 dried red chiles, such as chiles de arbol
- 2 cups pure olive oil
- Combine all of the ingredients in a medium saucepan and simmer over low heat until the garlic is tender but not browned, about 30 minutes. Let cool.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the garlic, herbs and chiles to three 1/2-pint canning jars. Pour the cooking oil on top, seal and refrigerate for up to 4 months.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.