- 2 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon dark (red) miso
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons chicken stock or canned low-sodium broth
- 3 tablespoons rice or cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 8 chicken thighs (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
Place an oven rack in the middle of the oven and preheat the broiler. In a small bowl, mix the garlic with the miso. Stir in the chicken stock, vinegar and Worcestershire sauce.
Put the chicken thighs in a baking dish, skin side down, and pour the miso sauce over them. Set the dish on the rack and broil for 15 minutes. Turn the thighs and broil for about 10 minutes longer, or until the skin is crisp and the chicken is cooked through. Transfer to a platter and skim the fat off the sauce.
Add the wine to the baking dish and broil until the wine sizzles. Stir well and pour the sauce over the chicken. Sprinkle with the cilantro and scallion and serve at once.