- Two 1/2 -inch-thick slices of peasant bread, crusts trimmed, bread cut into 1/2 -inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 large head of romaine lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 cup Caesar Salad Dressing (below)
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Caesar Salad Dressing
- 1/2 cup vegetable or chicken stock or canned low-sodium broth
- 1/4 cup blanched garlic puree
- 1 medium shallot, minced
- 2 anchovy fillets, patted dry and minced, or 1 teaspoon anchovy paste
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- DRESSING Preheat the oven to 350°. In a bowl, toss the bread cubes with the oil and spread in a single layer on a baking sheet. Toast for about 8 minutes, until golden and crisp. Let cool.
- Combine the lettuce and croutons in a large bowl. Toss with the Caesar Salad Dressing. Sprinkle with the Parmesan and toss again.
- In a small bowl, combine the vegetable stock, garlic puree, shallot, anchovies, mustard, lemon juice and vinegar. In a slow steady stream, whisk in the oil until incorporated. Season with salt and pepper.
One Serving (Salad) Calories 103 kcal, Protein 4.7 gm, Carbohydrate 8.9 gm, Cholesterol 3.5 mg, Total Fat 5.7 gm, Saturated Fat 1.4 gm.
One Tablespoon (Dressing) Calories 27 kcal, Protein .3 gm, Carbohydrate 1.4 gm, Cholesterol .2 mg, Total Fat 2.4 gm, Saturated Fat .4 gm.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.