- 1 cup raw long-grain white rice, rinsed
- 7 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- One-inch knob of ginger, peeled and sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 medium red onion, diced
- 4 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
How to make this recipe
In large pot add stock, rice, salt and ginger. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to a low simmer. Stir occasionally so that the rice doesn't clump or stick at the bottom.
Simmer the congee for about 1 hour or until the congee is thickened and creamy.
While the congee is cooking, heat a large skillet on medium-high heat. Add the oil, and then stir in the onion and garlic. Cook for about 1 minute or until soft, and then stir in the beef.
Cook the beef for about 10 minutes or until browned and cooked through. Stir in the soy sauce, and then remove the skillet from the heat. Stir in the chopped cilantro.
Pour the congee in serving bowls and top with the beef mixture. Serve the congee hot.
As the congee cools, it will become thicker. Add additional stock or water if necessary to make the congee to your desired thickness.