- 1 loaf of The Best White Bread or one 1-pound loaf of country white bread, crusts trimmed, bread cut into 3/4-inch dice (see Note)
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons coarsely chopped thyme
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Spread the diced bread on a large rimmed baking sheet and toss with the extra-virgin olive oil, thyme and garlic. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and bake in the center of the oven for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until golden and crisp.
The Garlic and Thyme Croutons can be stored in an airtight container for 3 days. Re-crisp the croutons in a 325° oven before using.
You can use any one or two day-old savory bread you have around the house to make the croutons.