- ACTIVE: 1 HR
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
George Mendes creates a rich sauce with shrimp heads, then thickens it with xanthan gum. The alternative here is flavored with shrimp shells and thickened with strained vegetables.
More Delicious Shrimp Dishes
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds large shrimpshelled and deveined, shells reserved
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 2 inner celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 6 garlic cloves2 smashed, 4 minced
- Pinch of saffron threads, crumbled
- 1/4 cup Pernod
- 1/4 cup brandy
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 2 tarragon sprigs
- 2 parsley sprigs, plus 1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- In a large pot, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil. Add the shrimp shells and cook over moderate heat until they turn pink, 3 minutes. Add the onion, fennel, celery, smashed garlic and saffron and cook until softened, 5 minutes. Add the Pernod and brandy and cook until evaporated. Stir in the tomato paste, add 6 cups of water and bring to a boil. Simmer until the broth is reduced to 4 cups, 45 minutes. Add the tarragon and parsley sprigs and let stand off the heat for 15 minutes.
- Strain the liquid, pressing the vegetables to mash them through the sieve. Alternatively, pass the mixture through a food mill. Discard the shrimp shells. Transfer the liquid to a saucepan and simmer until reduced to 2 cups, 30 minutes. Swirl in the butter and season with salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil until shimmering. Season the shrimp with salt and pepper, then sauté over high heat, turning once, until nearly cooked, 2 minutes. Transfer the shrimp to a plate. Add the remaining 3 tablespoons of oil to the skillet. Add the minced garlic and cook over low heat until softened and golden, 1 minute. Stir in the paprika. Return the shrimp to the skillet and add the chopped herbs and the lemon juice. Cook for 1 minute longer, until the shrimp are white throughout.
- Ladle the sauce into bowls and top with the shrimp. Drizzle any garlic oil over the shrimp and serve right away.
Zippy Vinho Verde.