Garden Salad Tacos
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
To make her genius vegetarian taco, Alice Waters melts Monterey Jack cheese on corn tortillas, then piles them with a crunchy, colorful vegetable-and-herb salad. The fennel is thinly shaved, which is best done on a mandoline.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 small garlic clove, finely grated
- Pinch of ground cumin
- Kosher salt
- 2 cups lightly packed mixed baby greens
- 1/2 small fennel bulb, very thinly sliced on a mandoline
- 1 medium carrot, very thinly sliced crosswise
- 4 radishes, very thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup lightly packed cilantro leaves
- 8 corn tortillas, warmed
- 3 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, shredded (1 cup)
- Preheat a broiler. In a large bowl, whisk the olive oil with the vinegar, garlic, cumin and a pinch of salt. Add the baby greens, fennel, carrot, radishes and cilantro and toss to coat. Season the salad with salt.
- Arrange the warm corn tortillas on a large baking sheet in a single layer. Sprinkle the shredded Jack cheese on the tortillas and broil 6 inches from the heat until the cheese is melted, about 1 minute. Pile the salad on the tortillas, fold them in half and serve right away.
Lively, fragrant Provençal rosé.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.