- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- Fine sea salt
- 2 cups loosely packed fresh basil leaves and flowers
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
How to make this recipe
- Place the garlic in a mortar, add sea salt to taste and mash to a paste with a pestle. Add the basil, little by little, pounding with the pestle until thoroughly ground.
- Stir in the oil until incorporated. (Alternatively, grind the garlic, salt and basil into a paste in a food processor. With the machine on, drizzle in the oil and process to a paste.) Stir the pesto just before serving.
Cover the pesto and refrigerate for up to 1 day or freeze for up to 6 months. Before serving, bring the pesto to room temperature and stir again.