Garbanzo Soup with Chorizo and Smoked Paprika
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
- 1 medium link of chorizo (5 ounces), quartered lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
- Two 19-ounce cans chickpeas, drained
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium carrots, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pimentón, smoked sweet paprika (see Note)
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 cups beef stock or low-sodium broth
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Crusty bread, for serving
- In a small skillet, cook the chorizo over moderately high heat until lightly browned and most of the fat has been rendered, 3 to 4 minutes. Drain the chorizo on paper towels.
- In a food processor, puree half of the chickpeas with the water until smooth.
- In a soup pot, heat the olive oil until shimmering. Add the carrots, onion and garlic, cover and cook over moderate heat until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the chorizo, tomato paste, pimentón and cayenne and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the beef stock and sugar along with the whole and pureed chickpeas and bring to a boil. Simmer over moderate heat until the vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes. Ladle the garbanzo soup into deep bowls and serve with crusty bread.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.