© Tina Rupp
Garbanzo Soup with Chorizo and Smoked Paprika
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: 6
- 1 medium link of chorizo (5 ounces), quartered lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
- Two 19-ounce cans chickpeas, drained
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium carrots, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pimentón, smoked sweet paprika (see Note)
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 cups beef stock or low-sodium broth
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Crusty bread, for serving
- In a small skillet, cook the chorizo over moderately high heat until lightly browned and most of the fat has been rendered, 3 to 4 minutes. Drain the chorizo on paper towels.
- In a food processor, puree half of the chickpeas with the water until smooth.
- In a soup pot, heat the olive oil until shimmering. Add the carrots, onion and garlic, cover and cook over moderate heat until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the chorizo, tomato paste, pimentón and cayenne and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the beef stock and sugar along with the whole and pureed chickpeas and bring to a boil. Simmer over moderate heat until the vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes. Ladle the garbanzo soup into deep bowls and serve with crusty bread.
NotesPimentón is sold at large supermarkets and specialty food shops. You can substitute 1 teaspoon of paprika mixed with 1/2 teaspoon of ground chipotle.