- TOTAL TIME: 20 MIN
- SERVINGS: Makes about 1 cup
Easy Indian Recipes
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons cumin seeds
- 1/4 cup coriander seeds
- 1/4 cup cardamom pods, seeds removed
- 1 bay leaf
- Two 3-inch cinnamon sticks
- 1 1/2 tablespoons whole cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground mace
- 2 1/2 tablespoons ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- Finely grind the whole spices in batches in a spice grinder.
- Transfer each batch to a coarse strainer set over a bowl. Sift the ground spices into the bowl and add the mace, ginger and nutmeg.
- Whisk to blend.
NotesThe garam masala can be stored in a tightly sealed jar in a cool, dry place for up to 6 months or frozen in a plastic bag for up to 1 year.
Serve WithGaram MasalaCrusted Chicken with Fig Jus