Garam Masala Biscuits
- ACTIVE: 20 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 40 MIN
- SERVINGS: makes 8 biscuits
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for rolling
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons garam masala
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3/4 cup buttermilk, plus more for brushing
- Preheat the oven to 375°. In a medium bowl, whisk the 2 cups of flour with the sugar, garam masala, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Using a pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in the butter until it is the size of small peas. Add the 3/4 cup of buttermilk and stir until a dough forms.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead it 2 or 3 times. Roll or pat the dough into a 6-by-12-inch rectangle, about 3/4-inch thick. Using a floured knife, cut the dough into 8 square biscuits. Brush the tops with buttermilk and transfer the biscuits to a baking sheet. Bake for about 18 minutes, until risen and golden. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
Make Ahead The biscuits can be stored overnight in an airtight container. Serve With Curried Chicken Salad with Garam Masala Biscuits.