- Four 6-ounce skinless halibut fillets
- Kosher salt
- 2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1 cup fish stock or clam broth
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 3 cups coarsely chopped Swiss chard leaves (6 ounces)
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon sweet Spanish paprika
- Crushed red pepper
How to make this recipe
Season the halibut with salt and refrigerate for 30 minutes. In a large saucepan, combine the potatoes, stock, wine, bay leaves, onion, chard and 1 tablespoon of salt. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer over low heat for 15 minutes.
In a small saucepan, heat the oil. Add the garlic and cook over low heat until golden, 4 minutes. Stir in the paprika and crushed red pepper; remove from the heat.
Lay the halibut on top of the potatoes and simmer, turning once, until the fish is just cooked through, about 8 minutes.
Transfer the halibut and potato stew to shallow bowls. Ladle 1 1/2 cups of the broth into the garlic oil and bring to a boil. Stir well, pour it over the fish and serve.