- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 pound whole milk ricotta cheese (1 cup)
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
How to make this recipe
- In a large saucepan, heat 2 inches of vegetable oil to 375°. Set a large wire rack over a baking sheet, top with paper towels and position it near the saucepan.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat the eggs, granulated sugar and vanilla with a wooden spoon. Add the ricotta and beat until smooth. Add the flour and baking powder and beat just until blended.
- Using a very small ice cream scoop or 2 teaspoons, slide 8 walnut-size rounds of batter into the hot oil. Fry over moderate heat until deep golden all over and cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the fritters to the rack to drain. Continue frying the remaining fritters in batches of 8. Arrange the fritters on a platter and dust well with confectioners' sugar.
The fritter batter can be refrigerated for up to 6 hours. Fry just before serving.