© Tina Rupp
- SERVINGS: Makes about 14 drinks
For hot punches, young whiskeys; young ones stay smooth.
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg, for garnish
- 3/4 cup Demerara or other raw sugar
- 40 ounces boiling water
- One 750-ml bottle Irish whiskey
- Strips of zest from 6 lemons, plus 6 thin lemon slices, each studded with 4 cloves, for garnish
- In a heatproof bowl, muddle the lemon zest with the sugar. Let stand for 1 to 2 hours. Muddle again, add 8 ounces boiling water and stir until the sugar dissolves. Strain into a warm heatproof bowl and stir in the whiskey. Add the remaining 32 ounces of boiling water and garnish with the studded lemon slices and nutmeg.