- 1 medium eggplant, sliced lengthwise 1/2 inch thick and cut crosswise into
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 pound fusilli
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1 large garlic clove, thinly sliced
- Pinch of crushed red pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
- 2 ounces fresh goat cheese, crumbled
How to make this recipe
Preheat the oven to 375°. In a large bowl, toss the eggplant with 3 tablespoons of the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Spread the eggplant on a large rimmed baking sheet and roast for about 30 minutes, until browned on the bottom. Using a metal spatula, turn the eggplant, scraping it off the baking sheet (it might break up slightly) and roast for about 10 minutes longer, until very tender.
Meanwhile, in a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the fusilli until al dente. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup of the pasta cooking water.
In a very large, deep skillet, toast the pine nuts over moderate heat, tossing frequently, until lightly golden in spots, about 5 minutes. Transfer the pine nuts to a work surface and coarsely chop them.
Heat the remaining 3 tablespoons of olive oil in the skillet. Add the garlic and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until tender, about 1 minute. Add the crushed red pepper and cook for 30 seconds. Add the fusilli, roasted eggplant, pine nuts, lemon juice and the reserved pasta water and toss over moderate heat until the pasta is evenly coated, about 1 minute. Season the pasta with salt and pepper and remove from the heat. Add the parsley and lemon zest and toss. Add the goat cheese and toss gently until the cheese is slightly melted. Spoon the fusilli into bowls and serve.