- ACTIVE: 15 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR plus overnight soaking
- SERVINGS: 6
Similar to Anissa Helou's favorites is Abu Abdo's, in the Christian quarter. "Abu works nonstop from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m., deftly ladling ful from a large copper jar into bowls or plastic bags for takeout," she says. This is her adaptation.
Fast and Easy Ethnic Recipes
- 1 cup dried small fava beans (7 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon Aleppo pepper flakes
- Kosher salt
- 1 small garlic clove, smashed
- 1/4 cup tahini paste, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- In a medium bowl, cover the fava beans with 2 inches of water and add the baking soda; stir to dissolve. In a small bowl, combine the Aleppo pepper flakes with 2 tablespoons of water. Refrigerate the beans and Aleppo pepper overnight.
- Drain and rinse the fava beans and add them to a saucepan. Cover with 2 inches of fresh water and bring to a boil. Simmer over moderately low heat for about 20 minutes, until just tender. Season with a generous pinch of salt and cook for 10 minutes longer, until softened. Drain the beans, reserving 1/4 cup of the cooking liquid.
- In a medium bowl, using a pestle or the back of a spoon, crush the garlic to a paste with a pinch of salt. Whisk in the tahini and lemon juice. Whisk in 1/4 cup of water.
- Pour the tahini sauce into a wide serving bowl. Mound the warm fava beans in the center and pour the reserved bean cooking liquid on top. Drizzle with the Aleppo pepper paste and the olive oil and serve.