- 1 stick plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for the pan
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup toasted pecans, chopped
- 10 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- One 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse sea salt
How to make this recipe
- make the dough In a bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the 1 stick plus 2 tablespoons of butter with the sugar and egg yolk until smooth. Add the flour, baking powder and salt and beat at low speed until evenly moistened, about 2 minutes. Using your hands, knead once or twice to bring the dough together.
- make the filling Preheat the oven to 350°. Butter a 9-inch square metal baking pan. Pat three-fourths of the dough into the baking pan in an even layer. In a bowl, beat the pecans into the remaining dough. Crumble the pecan streusel on a plate. Refrigerate the crust and streusel for 10 minutes.
- make the filling In a medium saucepan, combine the chocolate and condensed milk and stir over low heat until melted and very thick, about 3 minutes. Scrape into a bowl. Press a sheet of plastic wrap directly onto the surface and let cool slightly.
- make the filling Spread the fudgy filling evenly on the dough in the pan and sprinkle with the coarse salt. Scatter the pecan streusel on top. Bake in the lower third of the oven for 40 to 45 minutes, or until the top is golden. Let cool completely.
- make the filling Run the tip of a knife around the edge of the pan. Cut the square into 18 bars and serve.
The bars can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 3 days.