- 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened, plus more for greasing
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 1/4 cups packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 Granny Smith apples—peeled, cored and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
How to make this recipe
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Butter a 9-by-13-inch metal baking pan. In a large bowl, combine the flour with the oats, brown sugar, baking soda and salt. Add the 2 sticks of butter and, with your fingers, rub it into the mixture evenly. Pat all but 1 cup of the crumble into the baking pan in an even layer and bake until the top is golden, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, toss the apples with the lemon juice, granulated sugar and cinnamon. Spread the apples evenly over the dough in the pan, then sprinkle with the almonds and the remaining crumble. Bake for about 35 minutes, until the apples are tender and the juices are bubbling. Let cool before slicing and serving.
The bars can be stored in an airtight container for up to 2 days.